Tuesday, October 14, 2008

When the last day isn't the last day ...

Today is the last day to register to vote in Oregon.

It’s a deadline that still comes with concerns about a fuzzy registration process. After I last wrote about my own confusion as a volunteer registrar, I ran into others and checked their understanding.

I put my test case to them.

“Let’s suppose I have an Oregon Driver’s License, but I forgot to bring it with me?” I queried the nice lady registering voters in the Hillsdale Branch Library’s lobby. “I can’t remember the number, so I can’t fill in that part on the form asking for it.”

“No problem,” she said reassuringly. “Just fill in the last four-digits of your Social Security number.”

Wrong!

I was less blunt than that.

"Well, I know from my own experience, and mistakes, that I can't do that."

I told her that the elections office would have to track down anyone who has an Oregon Driver’s license but doesn’t use the number on the form. The Social Security number is ONLY for those without an Oregon Drivers License number or a DMV issued ID.

IF YOU HAVE AN OREGON DRIVER'S LICENSE OR A DMV ID NUMBER, YOU MUST USE IT ON YOUR REGISTRATION FORM IN ORDER TO VOTE FOR CANDIDATES RUNNING FOR FEDERAL OFFICES.

I asked the same question of a high school student who was registering voters. She gave the same wrong response.

This must be happening all over the state, and a lot of folks may, repeat MAY, only find out about the problem when they get a ballot that prohibits them from voting for president, U.S. Senate or the House of Representatives. (The Multnomah Elections office says it is sending out a mailing alerting those who were incorrectly registered and asking them for the missing license information. But if you think you have a problem, don't wait for the notification.)

The good news is that even if the information is wrong, you can correct it right up to 8 p.m. on election day — though admittedly that would be cutting it a little close.

So if you believe you may have filled out the form incorrectly, go to the Secretary of State’s web site to make certain you are registered. Then wait to receive your complete ballot. The ballots will be mailed this Friday.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home