Monday, November 12, 2007

Grip and Grab road-test

Saturday I road-tested the “Grip and Grabber” extension arm I bought at the vintage, ever-intriguing Best Hardware store on Division.

I chose Fairmount Boulevard on the flanks of Healy Heights for the road test because I had spotted a “1-800-Got-Junk” sign that I wanted to take down with my tree pruner. Somehow the Got-Junk crew had nailed it about 12 feet high on a utility pole for all the joggers and bicylists to see. It was well beyond the range of metal pipe "thwacker" I carry around to dislodge illegal signs on utility poles.

I’m sure the sign generated tons of business. As noted before, I go out of my way not to patronize businesses that post signs on utility poles, and I call them to tell them so.

That number is: 1-800-Got-Junk. The local franchise office is 209-9253. Ask for Tom and tell him Rick sent you. Believe me, we know each other.

After wrenching the sign off the pole, I set out along the winding road to grip and grab trash. I walked about a half mile and managed to fill up half a SOLV bag. A goodly portion was candy wrappers from trick-or-treaters, but there was some wet cardboard and an array of beer bottles and cans.

The real “keeper” was a metal Chevy hubcap. As you can see in the photos, it cleaned up well. Also in the photo to the right is the Grip and Grabber and the SOLV bag — offered in the interest of full journalistic context.

Don’t ask what I plan to do with the hubcap, but it joins the Mitsubishi hubcap (see photos) found on an earlier clean-up, scavenger hunt.

For now they are mostly curiosities, but if anyone is desperate for one or both, let me know. They’re yours for the asking.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger AliceCooperFan said...

Hey man, you wouldn't happen to still have that Chevy, would you?

5:37 PM  
Blogger Rick Seifert said...

I don't have the Chevy. Never did. I have the hubcap.

7:33 AM  
Blogger AliceCooperFan said...

Yeah, that's what I meant! Sorry about that! So do you want it or anything? Cause I need one like that and I can't find a decent one.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Rick Seifert said...

Write me at wfs12@columbia.edu and we'll figure a way to get it to you.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home